Monday, February 4, 2008

I Dare You

This is me, always dreaming my dreams, weaving figure eights and circles around people's heads (and implicitly my own). Always making up complex worlds out of the smallest things. I am the puppeteer, the master manipulator, the mind-blowing fairy-tale spinner, and eventually, if the situation demands I should be the greatest, most gifted liar of them all. Never have you met someone like me...
But what happens when the master of puppets gets tangled in the strings, oh the strings cut through the flesh so hard and deep: my hands are scarred (on the inside of course) from all the strings I pulled and all the leashes I held.
If you see me, I'll be the one blowing frail bubbles out of soap, waiting for them to burst. I'll be looking as innocent as ever, but when words and not mere air comes out of my mouth - that is when I reveal my true colors. You may not see the signs on my wrists, but look closely there's one on my cheek that shows just how thick it actually is.

I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead;
I lift my lids and all is born again.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

The stars go waltzing out in blue and red,
And arbitrary blackness gallops in:
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.

I dreamed that you bewitched me into bed
And sung me moon-struck, kissed me quite insane.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

God topples from the sky, Hell's fires fade:
Exit Seraphim and Satan's men:
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.

I fancied you'd return the way you said,
But I grow old and I forget your name.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

I should have loved a thunderbird instead;
At least when spring comes they roar back again.
I shut my eyes and all the world drops dead.
(I think I made you up inside my head.)

Sylvia Plath - Mad Girl's Love Song